[EM] Exploring Friendly Voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:23:57 PST 2023

Let's add the Method 1&2 calculations for the same example that we did the
Method 3,4&5 tallies in our previous message (copied below).

Here's a summary of the data from that example:

48 C
28 A>B
24 B

For the different sums of differences S and S' we need the following Too
and Bottom (fractional) counts:
Top(A)=28, Top(B)=24, Top(C)=48
Bot(A)=(48+24)/2=36,
Bot(B)=48/2=24,
Bot(C)=(24/2)+28=40

Method 2 elects the candidate Y that maximizes S'(Y), the Sum (over the
candidates X friendly to Y) of Top(X)-Bot(X):
S'(A)=Too(A)-Bot(A)+ Top(B)-Bot(B)
= 28-36+24-24=-8
S'(B)=Top(B)-Bot(B)+Top(C)-Bot(C)
=24-24+48-40=8
S'(C)=TopC-BotC+TooA-BotA
=48-40+28-36=0
The winner is argmax S'(Y) = B

Method 1 elects the candidate Y that maximizes S(Y), the Sum over the
hostile candidates X of Bot(X)-Top(X):
S(A)=Bot(C)-Too(C)=40-48=-8
S(B)=Bot(A)-Top(A)=36-28=8
S(C)=Bot(B)-Top(B)=24-24=0
The winner is argmax S(Y) = B

So B is the winner of all five methods.

Why is this so?

Well, the fractional counts are the same counts we would get by symmetric
completion of the ballots ... and we know that all five methods are
equivalent given complete ballots.

-Forest