[EM] Hylland's theorem

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 20:32:57 PST 2023

Hi folks,

I've seen many references to "Hylland's theorem" in recent papers and other
places, and yet, this theorem seems to be a partial mystery to the
Internet, and no one has bothered to write a Wikipedia article about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hylland%27s_theorem

Way back in 2005, I found a discussion of "Hylland's theorem" (and "May's
theorem") on the EM-list:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com//2005-January/thread.html#79759

That led me to this paper:
"Strategy Proofness of Voting Procedures with Lotteries as Outcomes and
Infinite Sets of Strategies" -- Aanund Hyllund -- January 1980

...which seems to be archived here (among other places, I hope):
https://www.sv.uio.no/econ/personer/vit/aanundh/upubliserte-artikler-og-notater/Strategy%20Proofness%5B1%5D.pdf

Am I following the breadcrumbs properly?  Is there a different "Hylland"
that deserves to have a theorem named after them?

I would like to either flesh out the following wiki page, or delete it:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Hylland%27s_theorem

I'm not sure what to do with the "Hylland free riding" section in the "Free
riding" article, but that needs better citations:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Free_riding#Hylland_free_riding

Rob