[EM] High5 voting (~ Smith//Approval on a reduced set)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Dec 16 06:12:57 PST 2023

On 2023-12-16 13:44, C.Benham wrote:

> Why do at least several US Americans here think there is something
> problematic and/or weird about allowing both quite
> a large number of candidates on the ballot and voters to strictly rank
> exactly as many of them as they wish?

I guess it's partly that some US locations do this de facto anyway (e.g.
some places using IRV only lets the voters rank three candidates). And I
*think* that's due to legacy hardware? Optical scan machines that can
only read bubbles, and mechanical ones that can only read a certain
number of holes.

I'm not sure, though.

> I prefer Smith//Condorcet, but accept that that is more complex to
> explain and sell and probably the most approved candidate
> will nearly always be in the voted Smith set.

Do you mean Smith//Approval?

-km