[EM] Resistant set results

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Dec 9 10:24:06 PST 2023

On 2023-12-09 18:47, Joshua Boehme wrote:

> Apologies if this is a naive question, but based on that definition is
> the resistant set affected by clones? Consider...
>
> 4 A>B
> 3 B
>
> A ~(AB)~> B and not vice versa, so A ~> B
>
> Now add A', a clone of A...
>
> 2 A'>A>B
> 2 A>A'>B
> 3 B
>
> A~(AA'B)~>B isn't true, so A ~> B no longer holds
>

> Allowing tied rankings doesn't solve it, since A and A' could be from
> different wings of one major party -- so voters have true preferences
> between them -- while B is from another major party.

Yes. The set as a whole can be affected by cloning. But a method can
still elect from it and pass clone independence.

In a later post, I want to show that both IRV and IFPP elect from the
resistant set. The former is cloneproof while the latter is not.

Methods of the type "resistant,X" will probably not be cloneproof as
such, so I don't claim they're good methods. They do, however, all seem
to resist strategy. Since this kind of strategy resistance seemed to be
such a rare property, that's what I've been focusing on.

-km