[EM] Centrifugal Margins

Joshua Boehme joshua.p.boehme at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:59:06 PST 2023

Here are some additional tidbits about the method...

When we use examples with minimal sets of ballots, it's not unusual for the centrifugal margin solution to come out the same as random ballot. However, here's a quick example to show that 100% of the weight can end up on orderings that don't appear on any ballots:

1 B>A>C>D
1 A>C>B>D
1 A>B>D>C

The solution is 100% A>B>C>D. This puts all the non-losing edges at 100%, so no other solution can possibly beat it (every excess is at its absolute maximum).

The approach I'm using for the higher-order steps follows two rules.

1. A k-tuple is non-losing if it has at least 1/k! strength on the actual ballots. For an edge, that's 1/2, exactly as we'd expect

2. Resolve the edges first, then the 3-tuples, then the 4-tuples...

The reason for those specific rules is that every variant I've tested that modified either/both of them failed to be cloneproof, and typically it was relatively easy to find a counterexample. With those two rules, I have yet to find any failures, though that doesn't mean it's cloneproof for sure

Here's another set of examples that blew my mind when I saw the results. Consider an election where every candidate ties head to head. Centrifugal margins handles some straightforward scenarios exactly as we'd intuitively expect.

If all four candidates are clones (A=B=C=D) then the solution is an equal 25% toss-up between the four.

If there are two equal factions, A > B=C=D and vice versa, then it splits 50% for A and 1/6 for each of B, C, and D

If the electorate is equally split between A, B, and C=D (i.e., 1/6 for each of the six distinct orderings), then it's 1/3 A, 1/3 B, 1/6 C, 1/6 D.

Random ballot can do that too, but it's not Condorcet or Smith. Maximal lottery would allow each of those respective solutions, but it also allows literally every other possible distribution in each case.