[EM] makeshift combinations

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Aug 27 06:48:49 PDT 2023

Forest,

Experience of new election systems in the UKconvinces me that two
different votes in one election are a non-starter, for practical use, as
well as in principle. A comparable situation existed with lobbying for
the alternative vote top-up method, proposed by the supposedly
“independent” Jenkins report. This had a covertly disreputable
background, too lengthy to go into. But the outcome was that voters
would be obliged to have both a preference vote and an x-vote. The
governments own MPs would not support it. (Stuart Bell MP correctly
predicted that “It will sink without a trace.”) But they asked
subsequent official reports to consider it.

First up was the Kerley report for local Scottish government elections
(recommending STV). They did not so much as sneeze at AV Top-Up,
dismissing the very idea of an electoral system with two different kinds
of votes. Apparently they had some strange idea that the voters matter
in voting arrangements.

I predict that sooner or later, depending on whether reason or
stubbornness prevail, that combining so-called approval votes with
ranked choice voting would please no-one.

Under existing voting methods, tied to varieties of elimination counts,
the elimination problem cannot be solved, and no definitive solution be
possible. The only thing that can be done, under existing voting
conventions, is to minimise the elimination problem. This is what the
Hare system (in particular Cambridgeelections) does.

The Hare system is known from a long history of practical test, giving
ample time for any serious short-comings to reveal themselves.

This is not the case with untested approval voting cum RCV. (I would not
even recommend my own method without proper preliminary testing.) That
is why you did the right thng as a tester of mathematical proficiency.

On another subject, two women friends independently could not contain
themselves from asking me: “Richard, don’t you ever read anything but
serious books?”

When young and energetic, when I would look at any book that caught my
interest, as if I would live forever, I filled volumes of diaries with
notes on books read, that were an embarrassment to me most of my adult
life. Since then it occurred to me to publish some of them. Just out is
“Don’t You Ever Read Anything But Serious Books?”

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1439523

Regards,

Richad Lung.