[EM] Condorcet meeting

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Thu Aug 24 05:29:41 PDT 2023

One of the agenda items is "rules for reducing a large field of
candidates to a field of 2 to 5". This seems to me an important topic,
since voters cannot be expected to vote in the way ranked preference
methods assume if the number of candidates is large. Presumably
proposals have been made for addressing it; unfortunately I haven't seen
them.

One which occurs to me is this. There are two rounds, the first of which
may have up to (say) 20 candidates and reduces the number to (say) 6,
and the second of which uses ranked preferences to find a single winner
from the 6.
    In the first round, each candidate nominates up to 3 "alternates"
from the rest of the field; these are listed in order against his name
on the ballot. The ballots use FPTP format - choose *one* option - but
are processed as multiwinner STV ballots in which a vote for A is
treated as a vote A>B>C>D, where B...D are his alternates. Surplus votes
are not transferred. Choose the 6 winners as the survivors to the second
round.
    I dare say there exist better ideas, but I thought I'd mention it.
       CJC