[EM] STAR

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 10:32:50 PDT 2023

It's been a while since I thought about this but here's something that
somebody with some number crunching resources should experiment with ... a
lottery method that I used to call "the ultimate lottery" back before Jobst
invented MaxParC, which arguably has at least an equal claim to
ultimateness:

Ballots are positive homogeneous functions of the candidate probability
variables. The homogeneity degree doesn't matter as long as all of the
ballots are of the same degree.

The candidate probabilities are chosen to maximize the product of the
ballots.

This candidate probability distribution can be realized as a spinner. The
spinner is spun to determine the winner.

How would this work for our pizza example?

For example, each voter's ballot could be her pizza desirability [score]
expectation as a function of the lottery probabilities.

Then each A faction voter would submit the same ballot ... namely the
function given by the expression
100pA+80pC, while each B faction voter would submit the expression
100pB+80pC.

When these ballots are multiplied together, we get the product
(100pA+80pC)^60×(100pB+80pC)^40.

The p values that maximize this product (subject to the constraint that
they are non-negative and sum to 100 percent) are pA=pB=0, and pC=100%.

The lottery that maximizes the expectation product is called the Nash
lottery after John Nash who first used this idea for efficient allocation
of limited resources.

Since expectations are linear combinations of the probabilities, they are
homogeneous of degree one ... one person, on vote. Their product is
homogeneous of degree n ... so n people, n votes.

Instead of using voter expectations for their ballots, the voters could
have used other homogeneous expressions ... for example, by simply
replacing each sum of products by a max of the same products.

The product of these modified ballots would be ...

[max(100pA,80pC)]^60
×[max(100pB,80pC)]^40.

Maximization of this product with the same constraints as before, yields
the same consensus distribution ... pC=100%.

This information is new in the sense that it has never been submitted for
official publication ... it's an exclusive bonus of Rob Lanphier's EM list
archive... first posted to this list back in 2011 after Jobst and I
published our 2010 paper on the use of mixed strategies for achieving
consensus.

Anyway, it turns out that using the Max operator in place of the Sum
operator yields a distribution with less entropy whenever the two
distributions are not identical.

Less entropy means less randomness, which means less chance, which in this
context, means more consensus.

In our example, the candidate distribution turned out to be 100 percent
candidate C ... zero randomness ... zero entropy ... 100 percent consensus.

Now you can see why I mentioned the need for number crunching capability
... experimenting with these ballot product maximizations requires some
serious number crunching.

The field is wide open. Is the Ultimate Lottery Method strongly monotonic?
For that matter, how about even the Nash Lottery?

Can MaxParC be formulated in terms of the Ultimate Lottery?

Somebody with some grad students should get them going on this!

fws