[EM] Preliminary Chain Climbing investigation

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:20:57 PDT 2023

As soon as you abandon the monotone agenda formation requirement, chain
Climbing (from the nominally unpromising end of the agenda towards the
nominally favorable end) loses its validity ... all bets are off.

In the three candidate Smith set case the most promising candidate that
defeats the least promising Smith member is elected.

The least promising Smith member is usually the sincere CW. The Smith
member that beats it is the "bus" under which it was nuried ... so good
poetic punishment for the niriers.

Like most methods good at punishing the buriers, this method needs a
sincere runoff to recover the sincere CW.

The appropriate three candidate runoff is the chain climbing winner W [most
likely the bus] versus a runoff between the least promising Smith member Z
[probably the sincere CW] and the one that does not defeat Z [the probable
burier candidate].

Rational voters informed on preferences will pass on W, and elect Z.

Any Condorcet method that almost always positively punishes the buriers (by
electing the "bus"rather than either the buried CW or burier) will look
just as strange. In particular it will fail symmetry reversal when
restricted to a three member Smith set.  Hence the importance of the
sincere runoff for any such method, not just chain climbing.