[EM] STAR

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sun Aug 13 04:41:18 PDT 2023

I find Chris's position unintelligible. People who rely on evaluations
can say what it is which makes a certain candidate a good choice of
winner from a given election, namely - in the case of spatial models -
his being closest to the centre of the distribution of voters (usually
understood as the median). But people who reason from criteria never say
what makes a criterion valid or invalid, or important rather than
unimportant. So the criteria come across as postulates pulled from thin
air - supposedly intuitive truths whose truth conditions cannot be
identified.

CJC