[EM] Uncovered MMPO based Approval

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:22:14 PDT 2023

Each example would elect precisely the same candidate if the rule were
simply ... lacking an undefeated candidate, elect the candidate with the
most (winning) votes against the MMPO candidate.

This simple method might be a good entry level public proposal. You could
even change it into an elimination method to satisfy the expectation for
one-by-one eliminations ... something like what Martin Harper did for
Approval to turn it into a vote transfer method like IRV. He said ...

For each ballot B let X(B) be the candidate that has the greatest total
approval of any candidate that is approved on ballot B. Transfer all of B's
votes to X(B). Then elect the candidate with the most transferred votes.

The tongue in cheek punch line is that the winner of this method is simply
the candidate with the greatest total approval.

But the technique is actually (potentially) useful for resolving equal
first votes without resorting to fractional votes ... of those candidates
voted equal first on ballot B, give B's vote to the one voted equal first
on the most ballots.

At least that was my suggestion for someone trying to figure out how to
handle IRV vote transfers (without fractional votes) when voters are
allowed equal ranking of candidates.

Another application is an idea for Approval DSV ... iteratively at each
stage put the approval cutoff just below X(B) determined by Martin Harper's
method from the previous stage approval values.

This DSV method implements Michael Ossipoff's approval cutoff advice ...
put your approval cutoff immediately below the candidate you would vote for
in a Plurality election.

Ossipoff's rule shows that Approval strategy is no harder than Plurality
strategy.

fws