[EM] Sorted Approval Margins (plus two other Condorcet methods)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 17:13:19 PDT 2023

If I had to narrow it down to three for public proposal, I would probably
choose the same three. DMC would be right up there too ... in the form of
approval based Benham ... eliminate low approval candidates until an
undefeated candidate remains.

We called the chain building method
Uncovered Approval or unc(approval). Thanks for dusting it off!

For those not familiar with "chains" ...in the election methods context a
chain is a transitive beatpath ... so each member of the beatpath is beaten
by each of its predecessors ... not only by its immediate predecessor.

On Sun, Aug 6, 2023, 2:59 PM C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

> I think Condorcet methods that don't allow voters to enter an approval
> threshold have to choose between trying to
> minimise Compromise incentive or trying to reduce Defection incentive.
>
> The methods I like in this category allow voters to rank however many
> candidates they like and also approve all but
> one or only one or any number in between of the candidates (consistent
> with their rankings). Equal-ranking is allowed.
>
> Default approval goes only to candidates ranked below no other candidate.
>
> I suggest that voters can just mark one of the candidates as the lowest
> ranked one they approve (i.e. only that candidate
> and those ranked higher or equal to it are approved).
>
> But other ways of doing it could be fine.
>
> Regarding which algorithm, I very much like Forest's  Sorted Approval
> Margins.

Or more commonly, "Approval Sorted Margins"

[A rose by any other name ...]