[EM] Hybrid ranking/approval ballots

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 13:50:22 PDT 2023

 This is fair enough. I suggested score or graded ballots, where the scores/grades are purely used for their rank information. But I think ranks are fine as long as they allow for ties and also allow for different interpretations of what people think ranks mean in the case of ties. E.g. someone might rank four candidates 1, 2, 2, 4 and someone else might rank them 1, 2, 2, 3. In fact you might as well open it up fully to simply saying lower is better and everything is fine, in case someone misses out a number. So 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 is the same as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or indeed 7, 17, 27, 28, 29. (You could still use scores but have them out of 9, 99, 999 using whatever number of digits you need to encompass all of the candidates. You're unlikely to need more than two digits.)
Toby