[EM] Method Y

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Aug 4 14:41:15 PDT 2023

On 8/4/23 22:54, Forest Simmons wrote:
> If there is an honest cycle, then there can be no burial of the (non
> existant sincere CW) the only kind of burial  we should worry about
> until we have that completely under control, which (almost) no other
> proposed method claims to do.

In that case, you should be able to use any ordering you'd like for the
elimination process. Even a random one disclosed ahead of time should
work! (And with random, all you'd have to ask the voters is one binary
question per round.)

I'm curious if there's a backwards induction argument that traditional
exhaustive runoff should also elect the honest CW. I'm thinking
something like: every voter who prefers the outcome of continuing the
process to the current candidate will vote against the current
candidate, but when the current candidate is the CW, that's not
feasible. All that the supporters of whatever the result is when
continuing have to do, is to vote for someone else than the current
honest Plurality loser.

-km