[EM] Method X, Landau

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Aug 4 09:04:10 PDT 2023

On 8/3/23 02:54, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> I plan to implement Method X when I get a moment. I'm not completely
> skeptical about its monotonicity since it doesn't seem like there's an
> obvious argument why it shouldn't be monotone.
>
> For Landau, I use some code like this, which I base on the explanation on Wikipedia:
>
> let landau = [];
> for(x in candidates) {
> let i_am_covered = false;
> for(z in candidates) {
> if( x != z ) { // X can't cover themselves
> let found_y = false;
> for(y in candidates) {
> // Note that beats_or_ties should evaluate as true if the two operands are the same candidate
> if( x beats_or_ties y && y beats_or_ties z ) {
> // alternative to the above line which should be right:
> // if( not( y beats x || z beats y ) ) {
> found_y = true; // found a counterexample to Z covering X
> break; // cease checking for Ys for this Z
> } //if x...
> } //for y
> if( not found_y ) {
>   i_am_covered = true; // Z evidently covers X
> break; // cease checking for Zs for this X
> } // if not found_y
> } // if x!=z
> } // for z
> if( not i_am_covered ) landau.append( x );
> } // for x
> return landau;

I've run my Landau calculator against this for a day, and I haven't
found any discrepancies. So it looks like my Landau calculator does
work, and it's good to know that the weird things I was seeing weren't
due to bugs.

My Landau set function uses short beatpaths; I was concerned that the
beatpath calculation code itself was wrong.

In any event, here's the data for Landau//Method X. It's clearly not
monotone, but as I said elsewhere, I'm not surprised since Forest proved
that was inevitable as (under reasonable assumptions) independence of
covered alternatives implies nonmonotonicity. But it's not strategy
resistant either, so there's not much of a reason to use it!

Burial, no compromise:	9740	0.199174
Compromise, no burial:	7624	0.155904
Burial and compromise:	3730	0.076275
Two-sided:		5483	0.112122