[EM] a simple, great ISDA-compliant method I've never seen mentioned

James Faran jjfaran at buffalo.edu
Mon Apr 17 10:48:35 PDT 2023

It is my impression that all elimination methods are not monotonic, though I certainly can't prove that.

In this case, if I've understood it correctly, try

7 A>B>C
2 B>A>C
7 B>C>A
8 C>A>B

Pairwise we have a cycle: A>B>C>A, so FPC scores are A:9; B:8; C:7. Thus, the method eliminates C and A beats B and A wins.

Now suppose the two B>A>C voters increase their appreciation of A and vote A>B>C instead.

9 A>B>C
7 B>C>A
8 C>A>B

We've got the same pairwise cycle, but now A gets eliminated first and B wins.

Did I calculate correctly?  Is this the type of monotonicity you were asking about?

Jim Faran