[EM] Ultimate SPE Agenda Processing: Sink Swap Bubble

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 08:30:48 PDT 2023

Here's an example of another standard test case for Sink Swap Bubble
("Bubba" for short).

48 C
28 A>B
24 B (sincere is B>A)

The smallest faction has thrown the sincere CW under the bus ... knowing
that most Condorcet methods, including classical wv methods like Ranked
Pairs, would break the resulting ABCA beat cycle at the weakest defeat A>B,
leaving B as the winner.

The agenda, whether based on Implicit Approval or MaxPairwiseSupport or the
ratio of Favorite to Anti-favorite lottery probabilities ... has B on the
favorable end with greatest Implicit Approval and MaxPS values of 52 ... as
well as greatest ratio of f to f', because f'(B)=0 ... while A is at the
unfavorable end of the lottery in all three standard measures.

The order from worst to best is A C B.

Standard SPE and DMC make no change in this order because it is a beatpath
order B>C>A ... so no out of order pair.

Let's see what Bubba does:

Sink does nothing.
Swap changes the order to A<B<C.
Bubble changes the order to B<A<C ... the finish order of the method ...
thus disappointing the defecting faction with a finish order polar opposite
to their sincere preferences ...

When will they learn that you cannot mess with Bubba?

Check;
One more Swap Bubble combo step produces the challenge order ...
C<B<A, which the majority will support in the conclusive sincere pairing
... because A is the sincere CW and C is the sincere Condorcet Loser.

A note on conventional agenda lingo: traditionally the "Top of the agenda"
is the unfavorable end ... because it is an elimination agenda ... and the
top priority items for elimination are the items at the bad end of the
agenda.

We respect this tradition, but mainly avoid confusion by referring to
favorable vs unfavorable ... or good vs bad ends of the list, rather than
top or bottom.

Does that make sense?

Maybe next time we can talk about the f/f' ratio if anybody wants to ... I
already did in another thread on agenda setting, but it certainly bears
repeating wherever there is interest.

Here I will just explain why f'(B)=0 in the above example.

If you draw a ballot at random B will never be at the bottom of the ballot
unless it is tied for last with A ... so the tie can only be broken by a B
ballot which has only A and C at Bottom.

In sum, A and C have positive anti-favorite probabilities ... but B does
not.

In general, determination of these probabilities involves a Markov Process
... so don't be surprised if the probabilities don't just jump out at you.

Alternatively, instead of resolving ties by drawing additional ballots ...
one can use a spinner to choose randomly among the tied (for bottom)
candidates ... which is the same as symmetric completion or counting equal
bottom fractionally instead of whole.

In this case you would get ...
f'(B)=24%, f'(A)=24%+12%,=36%,
and f'(C)=28%+12% ... which should add up to 100%.

Yes, 24+24+12+28+12=60+40=100

The respective ratios of f to f' are
28/36 for A, 24/24 for B, and 48/36 for C ... so the agenda order would be
A<B<C.

Sink changes that to A<C<B
Swap changes that to A<B<C
Bubble changes that to B<A<C
Etc. You gotta get up early to sneak a fast one past Bubba!

-Forest