[EM] Vote and count conservation laws

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Sep 16 02:07:12 PDT 2022

On 9/16/22 05:05, Forest Simmons wrote:
> As a mathematician I love formal analogies among apparently disparate
> fields of inquiry ... the greater the apparent disparities, the more
> interesting ... and the greater the potential for cross fertilization!

I still find it very hard to extract useful information from any of
that. But then I have got Richard plonked for a reason :-) With my email
client automatically ignoring his posts, I don't have to wrack my brain
parsing them.

I wonder if any of the early STV theoreticians focused very much on the
count, because I see this sort of "algorithm-based approach" (where
exactly how the algorithm works matters) both in Richard's posts and
James Gilmour's program instruction view of ranked ballots.

It's very different from my "ranked ballots are preferences, and
criteria that are used to evaluate voting methods are entirely
implementation agnostic" view -- which I have the impression is a later
American perspective, although I couldn't say just how I've come to that
impression.

-km