[EM] Covering Embarrassment

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 19:21:04 PDT 2022

For the benefit of people new to the concept of covering, I should point
out that not being covered by A is equivalent to having a beatpath to A of
two or fewer steps. So an "unqualifiedly" uncovered candidate has, for each
candidate X, a short beatpath (fewer than three steps) to X.

The beauty of a short beatpath is its immediacy compared to a longer one
... as the path gets longer it kind of leaks information like the telephone
game.

Note, for example, that a beatpath whose weakest step is a 100%n/(n+1)
defeat cannot cycle in fewer than (n +1) steps ... the stronger the
beatpath, the more steps necessary to lose transitivity. Conversely. the
shorter the beatpath, the more likely the defeats will survive the entire
length of the bestpath.

 Notice, in particular, that if B defeats both A and every candidate that A
defeats, then there is no beatpath of length one or two from A to B.

Note also that the covering relation (unlike the ordinary defeat relation)
is transitive:  if C covers B, and B covers A, then C also covers A.

-Forest