[EM] Covering Embarrassment

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sun Sep 11 16:05:51 PDT 2022

> On 09/11/2022 6:12 PM EDT Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Have you every had one of those dreams where you are out in public and suddenly notice that you are unclothed?

of course.

> Well, nearly all election methods, Condorcet or not, that are either now in use, or have been seriously proposed, suffer from the opposite problem: they have no guarantee against electing covered candidates.

Well, now I need a definition of a what or who is "covered".

> How (outside of a nudist colony) could that be a problem?
>
> Well, suppose candidate A wins an RCV election of some kind, and the ballots clearly show that candidate B outranks candidate A on a majority of the ballots, but B is not head-head defeated by any candidate that A defeats.

okay, so A pairwise defeats a bunch of candidates that B also does, but B defeats A.  Could there be Candidate C that defeats them both, head to head?

well, obviously minority-elected candidates win and are not embarrassed for winning an election.  Like both W and the evil T****.  They can deny the problem (like this is too complicated) or they can make up and excuse (Montroll or Begich didn't get enough base support)

> The B supporters would be more indignant, vociferous, and sarcastic than even Trump, (unless B were like a spineless Gore, who capitulated without a peep).
>
> Why hasn't anybody addressed this elephant-in-the-room potential embarrassment?

????

> [...]
>
> The first RCV method to decisively crack this barrier (earlier this year) was Decloned KY Chain Climbing ... nice theoretically, but too esoteric for public proposal.
>
> More recently, and more practically, Kristofer and I have introduced (without fanfare) a class of short beatpath methods that always elect uncovered candidates monotonically and clone-free from RCV ballot sets.
>
> Within that class, methods differ by different gauges of defeat strength, in the same way that different versions of Ranked Pairs differ among themselves.
>
> My purpose in this post is not to propound any particular uncovered method, but to give a general recipe for retro-fitting all currently used RCV methods ... in order to confer upon them Covering Embarrassment Immunity.
>
> Here is the Afterburner procedure for installing that retro-fit:
>
> Initialize X as the (before retro-fit) method winner.
>
> Then ...
> While X is covered, replace it with the alternative (from among those that cover it) with the one defeating it with the greatest defeat strength. EndWhile
>
> Elect the the final value of X, (i.e.the last candidate pointed at by the variable X).
>
> [Now you can see our main purpose for initiating our recent Defeat Strength thread.]
>
> Notice how naturally this "Afterburner" procedure confers Covering Embarrassment protection onto Ranked Pairs!
>
> It can do the same thing for IRV, Coombs, Borda, Bucklin, Kemeny Young, DAC, DSC, etc, as well as for non-RCV methods that may admit inference of ordinal preferences ... such as MJ, STAR, Approval Sorted Margins, DMC, SPE, etc.
>
> One of my favorites is Afterburner Fitted Usual Judgment (AFUJ), because UJ by itself has only one serious technical defect ... potential covering embarrassment.
>
> In particular, the recent IRV embarrassments in Burlington and Alaska would have harmlessly, and unceremoniously bounced off this shield.
>
> Also, note that an afterburner shield protects against Burlington embarrassments, but an upfront CW check does not guarantee protection against covering embarrassment. Afterburner protection is stronger than a mere CW or Smith check up front ... even IRV restricted to Smith is not immune to Covering Embarrassment.
>
> So why would anybody resist zero-cost covering embarrassment protection?
>
> Remember back in the 1970's ... the resistance against retro-fitting older cars with seat belts?
>
> "People will be trapped inside crashed cars!"
>
> Doubtless we wil see the same reactionary attitudes about retro-fitting current methods with "Covering Immunity Seatbelts."
>
> Will a democracy ever arise on this planet progressive enough to make use of it?
>
> I'm optimistic about that possibility, but not optimistic enough to think it will happen absent some kind of major revolution that saves our planet from utter destruction.

This being "covered" thing isn't a problem if the Condorcet winner is elected, if a CW exists, is it?  Does it manifest when there is a CW?

How many elections do we expect to lack a Condorcet winner?  So far, FairVote has looked at, they used to say, 440 U.S. RCV elections, all had a CW, and only one failed to elect the CW.  Now there are two anomalous elections, Alaska 2022 and Bulington 2009.  So far 100% having CW and 99.6% electing the CW using Hare RCV.

Must we use Copeland if there are easier ways to get the CW elected?

r b-j . _ . _ . _ . _ rbj at audioimagination.com

.
.
.