[EM] Condorcet exegesis

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Wed Sep 7 11:22:29 PDT 2022

Condorcet pairing

Suppose a preferential (non-binary) election, by 100 voters for three
candidates, A, B and C, contesting two seats, produces this result:

ABC

463420

A and B are elected on over one third of the votes each (by Droop quota).

Suppose, however, that this contest result is contested by Condorcet
pairing:

ABACBC

663456443466

A gets all C vote and C gets all A vote. But B is denied its
proportionate share of representation. A and C are the two-seat
Condorcet winners. They are implicitly elected each on single majorities
of over half the votes, 50+ votes each, from an electorate of 100
voters. At any rate, that is the minimum democratic threshold (even
Kenneth Arrow insists on). – Binary choice is “The tyranny of the
(single) majority.” (John Stuart Mill; Lani Guinier.)

For the sake of argument, consider the logic behind alternate pairings.
Each pairing is a provisional exclusion count, removing each candidate,
in turn, as a third preference. Thus the A-B pairing amounts to
A>B>C.The A-C pairing implies A>C>B. The B-C pairing implies B>C>A.
Condorcet pairing elects A and C on the contradiction that preferences
A>B>C and C>B>A are both correct.

On the basis of an original triple preference (non-binary) count, A>B>C
happens to be correct.

The question is: how does one arrive at such a preferential count? (That
is what I’ve been trying to explain, against some personal animosity.)
It depends on a multi-majority (proportional) count, as distinct from a
single majority count, summing a (multi-) preference vote, as distinct
from a binary choice.

Traditional single transferable vote is sufficiently robust to achieve
this, with its rational election count. STV does contain a residual
irrational element, in a sort of last past the post exclusion count. But
the exclusion count can be calculated on similar rational grounds, as
the election count. Thus, a binomial STV.

  Regards,

Richard Lung.