[EM] The Quintessential UD Generalized Median Method?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 19:15:59 PDT 2022

Let's look at a Chicken example:

49 C
26 A>B
25 B (sincere B>C)

The pairwise matrix M is

[[0, 26, 26]
[25,0,51
][49,49,0]]

The random ballot favorite row vector V  is
[[26, 25, 49]]

The matrix product VM is

[[25^2+49^2,26^2+49^2,26^2+25×51]]

Evidently the third component of this vector is the smallest so
argmin S(X) is candidate C.... the B faction Chicken ploy failed.

Now, let's look at ...

40 A
10 A=C
10 B=C
40 B

We have M equal to
[[0,50,40]
[50,0,40]
[10,10,0]]

The random ballot favorite row vector is
[[45,45,10]]

The matrix product VM is the row vector
[[45*50+10^2,45*50+10^2,45^2+45^2]]

Evidently, argmin S(X) is {A,B}, so A and B are tied for the win.

Our method MEPO seems to respect Plurality, unlike MMPO.

More and more, I like the idea of MEPO with a Landau afterburner. Stitching
on the afterburner leaves a slight seam in the rare cases it needs to be
applied to achieve Landau efficiency. [None of our examples have needed it,
so far.]

-Forest