[EM] Friendly Voting: Some Criteria Compliance Proof Sketches

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 22:13:30 PDT 2022

An example of a lottery L that could be better (in some contexts) than
random ballot favorite: let L(Y) be the percentage of ballots B on which Y
is the highest ranked alternative that has a beatpath to each of the other
alternatives that are ranked on ballot B.

This choice of lottery L would (1)make compromising less of a temptation,
and (2) make winning ties less likely.

Another example: Let L(Y) be the percentage of ballots B on which Y is the
alternative with the worst rank on ballot B that is not pairwise defeated
by any alternative with a better rank on ballot B.

In general, L(Y) should be the percentage of ballots B on which Y would be
an  optimal compromise alternative for the ballot B voter in a Plurality
election.

One more: Bubble sort pairwise the alternatives ranked on ballot B, giving
rectification priority to the out of order pairs closest to the bottom
(worst end) of the ballot. Then let L(Y) be the percentage of the ballots
on which Y ends up on top.

Finally: For each ballot B, while the alternative h currently ranked
highest on B is covered by some alternative y ranked lower on B, swap out t
for the highest such y. Then let L(Y) be the percentage of ballots on which
alternativeY ends up top ranked.

More ideas for lottery L?

-Forest