[EM] What is the name of this simplest STV multi-winner method?

James Gilmour jamesgilmour at f2s.com
Fri Nov 25 14:46:54 PST 2022

If the counting rules do not specify transferring surplus votes from elected candidates in a multi-member election, it is not STV.
It certainly isn't STV-PR.

Transferring surpluses from elected candidates in multi-member elections is essential to achieve proportional representation, i.e.
representation proportional to the voters' choices.

James Gilmour

two different methods of transferring surplus votes.  But the simplest STV (multi or single winner) doesn't worry about transferring
votes that are surplus over a quota, but only about transferring the votes of eliminated candidates.

> If the number of seats to be filled is M, what is the name of the STV method that simply repeatedly eliminates candidates (using
the Hare method) each round (and transferring votes from the ballots preferring the eliminated candidates) until only M candidates
remain.  Nothing is done with surplus votes of candidates that are not eliminated.  If M=1, this would be exactly Hare IRV.