[EM] River Banks

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:53:33 PST 2022

Our List Based Banks method requires an input list ... an agenda, if you
will, as does SPE (Sequential Pairwise Elimination).

An agenda with both rhyme and reason to recommend it is the River finish
order ... the obvious name for this method is "River Banks."

I don't know if Jobst ever specified a finish order for River, but the one
I have in mind gives priority to the root node of each drainage sub-tree,
and orders the daughter sub-trees on the basis of higher priority to last
added.

For completeness here's a queue based formulation of LBB:

Start with a list of candidates in a queue, and an empty chain.

While any candidate remains in the queue, let T be (the name of) the one
first in line.
IF ...
T cannot be accommodated into the chain, then remove T from the queue...
Else
Without changing their current relative order in the line, move the
candidates defeated by T to the head of the line behind T, and then move T
from the queue to its rightful place in the chain.
EndIf
EndWhile
Finally, elect the head of the completed chain.

-Forest