[EM] Simple Method to Find the Smith Set

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:32:39 PST 2022

Good!

Here's a method that can take advantage of your procedure:

For each ballot B, let f(B) be B's highest ranked Smith member, unless B
ranks no Smith member, in which case ffB) is simply B's top choice.

Then for each candidate X, let p(X) be the percentage of the ballots B for
which X is f(B).

Finally, for each Z, let H(Z) be the sum given by the expression

Sum{p(X)|X defeats Z pairwise}

Elect argmin H(Z).

This is a decisive version of "friendly voting" so called because of
electing the candidate Z with minimal hostility H(Z) directed towards it.
Note H(Z) is the total percentage of the ballots B on which f(B) is hostile
to Z, i.e. "beats Z" pairwise.

A slight disadvantage of the method is that it requires two passes through
the ballots ... the first to get the pairwise matrix, and the second to get
p(X) for each X.

-Forest