[EM] Easy fix to Alaska's ranked-choice voting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 00:00:47 PST 2022

Evidently the IRV proposers hacve had to settle for ránking only there or
tour candidateson each ballot ... better than nothing.

One pass through the ballots to get the pairwise information and the number
of truncations for each candidate ... the exact same work as the SPE method
you propose ... but an agenda of first place votes breeds lots of vote
splitting unless you expect the voters to have lots of equal first rankings
... not a good idea.

Electing the uncovered candidate unranked on the fewest ballots is a
simpler Condorcet method than SPE ... and it is guaranteed to elect an
uncovered member of the Smith Set.

But SPE is also good ... if the agenda is clone independent, like implicit
approval.

-Forest