[EM] Steepest Ascent Tweak

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 02:17:15 PST 2022

Let satlp(X) be the probability that the top ranked candidate on a randomly
drawn ballot gets sent to X by the steepest ascent tweak.

In other words satlp(X) is the steepest ascent tweak lottery probability of
choosing candidate X.

This lottery probability function on the set of candidates is the basis of
the following steepest ascent election method (SAEM):

Elect argmin(SA(Y)), where SA(Y) is ...
Sum{satlp(X)|X defeats Y pairwise}

This steepest ascent based method is an improvement on the friendly voting
method that uses the random ballot favorite lottery probabilities instead
of the steepest ascent tweak lottery probabilities ... an improvement
because it avoids the problem that arises when most of the first place
candidates are weak fantasy candidates that defeat few or none of the Smith
candidates.

The first place lottery is an example of a proportional lottery, which has
it support scattered all over the candidate space including on the outer
fringes. But the viable candidates are the ones nearer the center, so the
proportional lotteries encourage compromising strategy ... voters cannot
safely vote their favorites ahead of their viable compromises.

That's where the steepest ascent tweak comes in. It moves the support of
proportional lotteries inward... giving this method a built in DSV
(Designated Strategy Voting) feature that takes the burden of compromise
strategy off of the voters.

The method is also resistant to burial strategy, because of its close
relationship with Friendly Voting ... specifically designed to be burial
resistant.

Note also that SAEM is a one pass, precinct summable method.

It can be thought of as the natural result of decloning Minimax, by
replacing Max with Sum, and then replacing the defeat margins with
corresponding lottery probabilities.

Continuing our example from last time will clear up these cryptic comments

To Be Continued ...