[EM] Public Proposal Verbiage

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue May 31 06:58:08 PDT 2022

The neologism that I am promoting is:"Consistent Majority Candidate".Better than "Beats-all winner" or "Pairwise Champion".Powered by Cricket Wireless------ Original message------From: Colin ChampionDate: Tue, May 31, 2022 2:49 AMTo: election-methods at lists.electorama.com;Cc: Subject:Re: [EM] Public Proposal Verbiage
    I’m sorry to say that I
      don't like Dasgupta and Maskin’s terminology at all - I think it's
      a trick to persuade readers that they've already signed up for the
      Condorcet Principle when they signed up for the Majority
      Criterion. I agree that "Condorcet winner" sounds forbiddingly
      esoteric to the layman - I sometimes consider "outright winner" as
      a more down-to-earth term.
         Forest's definition is concise and avoids reference fo matrices
      of defeat margins and similar machinery, but I'm not sure if that
      makes it any easier to understand since the conceptual level is
      quite high.
         Colin

    On 31/05/2022 05:23, Forest Simmons