[EM] Unhappy news regarding Burlington

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat May 21 14:30:51 PDT 2022

Despite my best efforts, the Vermont governor allowed the Burlington charter change, returning RCV to Burlington after 13 years, to become law without his signature.  Earlier, the House Government Operations committee stripped the explicit Hare method from the language of the charter change, leaving the specific RCV method up to city council, but I have no doubt it will be Hare.I warned them that some future legislature and a different governor will pass a statewide RCV into law, and because this gives Hare the leg up, someday we will be opaquely transporting 300,000 ballots from every corner of the state to Montpelier, just to know who the next governor or LG or AG or Sec of State is.  With no redundant way to independently check on an election outcome.There are some smaller victories.  The Deputy Sec of State, who is running for SoS, "gets it".  And I have connected him to Eric Maskin, the Nobel laureate and coauthor of The Fairest Vote of All.But people are all of stubborn, s
 tupid, craven, and dishonest.Licking my wounds after a brusing fight.robert