[EM] Definitions of "completion method" and "aggregate method"

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Wed May 4 07:34:33 PDT 2022

I don't think the terminology is settled, but it makes sense to use the
term 'completion' for methods of the form "if M has a unique winner,
elect that candidate, otherwise elect the winner of Mdash", whereas a
tiebreak is limited in some way to the subset of candidates who tie
under M. Condorcet cycles are not normally called ties, so Condorcet
resolutions are called completions. It would be possible to have Llull
completions, eg. elect the Llull winner if it is unique, else elect the
Borda winner. Certainly Llull's method doesn't *require* a completion
method in this sense, but it's an alternative to the two natural ways of
breaking ties, and someone will one day prove that it has unique
robustness to a certain form of tactical voting.

CJC