[EM] Geometric Inconsistency of Kemeny-Young (was Single-candidate DMTBR idea)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 15:03:27 PST 2022

Consider the ballot profile ...

p A>B=C
q B>A=C
r  C>B>A

Each ballot in the first faction has a Kendall-tau distance of 1.5 from
each ballot in the second faction and 2.5 from each ballot in the third
faction, while each ballot in the second faction has a distance of 1.5 from
each ballot in the third faction.

So geometrically the three factions form an isosceles triangle with the
longest side opposite the second faction.

So geometric proximity/affinity would require that candidate B be a clear
second choice in the first and third factions.

So the  geometrically corrected (consistent) factions would have to be ...

p A>B
q B
r C>B

In that case B would have to be the CW if neither A nor B was a majority
winner.

In short, a Condorcet cycle would be inconsistent with the geometric
affinities.

Let's look at Kemeny-Young:

The respective total distances from the three original factions to the
respective six finish orders would be ....

p/2+1.5q+3r to ABC,

p/2+2q+2r to ACB,

1.5p+g/2+2r to BAC,

2.5p+q/2+r to BCA,

1.5p+2.5q+r to CAB

1.5p+1.5q  to CBA

Suppose, for example p=q=30, and r=40.

Then the respective total costs (distances) would be [check my
arithmetic]...
180 for ABC,
155 for ACB,
140 for BAC,
130 for BCA,
160 for CAB, and
90 for CBA.

So in this case CBA would be the K-Y finish order, contrary to the
geometric affinities implied by the Kendall-tau geometry ...

30 A>B
30 B
40 C>B,

which would make B the Condorcet Winner, and BCA the fish order.

So ordinary K-Y, which is based on the Kendall-tau metric, yields a result
inconsistent with preferences based on that same Kendal-tau distance
function.

That's one reason I reject K-Y ... the other reason is that the Kendall-tau
metric is clone dependent.

Those are the reasons I have suggested a de-cloned version of Kendall-tau
together with some geometrically consistent applications of that new metric
(other than de-cloned K-Y).

-Forest