[EM] Semantics of voting

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Thu Mar 10 01:11:18 PST 2022

Kevin – I suspect we don't disagree about anything. It would have been
clearer if I'd said that my jury model was a special case of the
Condorcet/Young model with added distributional assumptions for my own
conceptual convenience.
    A simpler example of IIA has occurred to me which I mention for what
it's worth. It doesn't refer to voting but brings in all the important
features.
    Let x, y and z be 3 values. We have no idea which is greater than
which. Our initial beliefs can be expressed by giving them independent
standard Gaussian priors. E[x-y]=0.
    Now we're given a single piece of information that x>z. Our
posterior beliefs about y are unchanged from our prior, but we now have
a joint posterior distribution on (x,z) which is a standard bivariate
Gaussian restricted to the half-plane in which x>z. E[x]>0, E[z]<0;
E[x-y]>0.
    Here x is the merits of automobiles, y is the merits of buses, and z
is the merits of teleportation. If we are interested in choosing between
automobiles and buses then teleportation is an irrelevant alternative;
according to IIA comparisons with an irrelevant alternative can be of no
help in choosing between automobiles and buses; Bayes' theorem disagrees.
    Colin