[EM] “Monotonic” Binomial STV

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:25:29 PST 2022

Richard,

I enjoy all of the connections you make including with quantum mechanics
... understanding is a network of connections anchored in the ideas most
familiar and intuitive to us.

My PR idea for Binomial Bucklin is based on the idea once articulated by
Kevin that Bucklin can be thought of as a procedure for arriving at a
reasonable approval cutoff ... i.e. a DesignatedStrategyVoting version of
approval just as Instant Runoff can be considered a DSV version of
Plurality .... a procedure for finding a reasonable candidate for whom to
cast your one and only vote.

And just as Approval can be adapted for PR in the form of PAV, Sequential
PAV, or even the Martin Harper Lottery, so also should Binomial Bucklin
have similar possible modifications to various PR versions.

Best Wishes,

Forest