[EM] DMTBR again: Voice of reason

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 30 11:34:22 PDT 2022

Hi Kristofer,

Le jeudi 30 juin 2022, 11:44:29 UTC−5, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de> a écrit :
> Monroe's voice of reason method is a method that Monroe proposed for its
> ability to never elect a universally despised candidate in some
> strategic equilibrium. I.e. it is immune to DH3-type outcomes.

> So I thought its strategy resistance might imply DMT or DMT candidate
> burial resistance that I could perhaps transplant into a Condorcet
> method (the voice of reason doesn't pass Condorcet).

It's been a while since I read the paper but I had the sense that he intends to
avoid the DH3 outcome, but *only* the outcome itself, with no claim of strategy
resistance in VOR.

His goal seems extremely modest, and I suppose that's what he wants to point out,
that few methods can satisfy it. But at the same time VOR can only shine in toy
scenarios, ones which might actually have a universally despised candidate. If even
one voter top-ranks an otherwise universally despised candidate, VOR can elect that
candidate, if that one voter is otherwise the best match to the pairwise matrix.
That's not too impressive, particularly considering VOR's lack of other good,
expected properties.

That said, I do see an appeal of the concept of determining which voter would be
the best one to give the decision to. In an ideal world you could identify the
median voter (on some spectrum) and let them pick the winner, without constraining
the voter to kingmaking between two frontrunners they may not especially like.

(But I don't think there will be a burial-resistant method along such lines.)

Kevin