[EM] STAR challenge

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 19:06:45 PDT 2022

Actually, you have just described the winner of Benham,Score, which
successively eliminates the lowest score candidates until there remains one
candidate that defeats all of the other remaining candidates.

RSTAR also starts at the bottom, but eliminates losers of bottom score
pairwise contests until there remains a candidate that defeats all of the
other remaining candidates.

It is easy to check that in the case of three Smith members, (1) Score
Chain Climbing, elects the highest score Smith member that defeats the
lowest score Smith member ... (2) Benham-Score elects the lowest score
Smith member that defeats every higher score member, and (3) RSTAR elects
the highest score Smith member.

Since public elections rarely have more than three Smith members, that
summary pretty much tells us what to expect from these three methods.

The best one to propose/adopt depends on simulation results and which
method has the simplest, most appealing counting procedure(s), since each
of them can be tallied by several different procedures to check the result
of the 'official' procedure.

If burial is a perceived threat, I would recommend Chain Climbing.
Otherwise, I would recommend the Single Pairwise Elimination description of
RSTAR ... unless it turns out that some description of Benham,Score turns
out to be more appealing to the lay voter.

I am assuming that all three of these will have roughly the same VSE, which
we already know to be better than plain Score from published simulations in
the case of Smith,Score and plain STAR. If one does stand out, we should
see if the voters care about the difference.

The beauty of the above three methods is that they give us Independence
from Smith Dominated Alternatives (ISDA) without having to construct the
Smith set, or even mention it. In fact the simplest procedures have no need
to even mention the word Condorcet, which some people have been sternly
warned against ... like countries with state religions warning their
citizens against reading any literature from non-state religions, or
Christian priests prohibiting Bible reading by their parishioners. [In
sixteenth century England, William Tyndale was burned at the stake for
making an English translation of the Bible so that common English speakers
could read it for themselves.]

-Forest