[EM] Approval voting election tomorrow in Fargo ND

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Jun 6 18:10:18 PDT 2022

Funny thing is that, while I live in Burlington Vermont now, I grew up 20 miles west of Fargo.  I used to know Fargo like the back of my hand.  Now I don't know it well at all.

About the one-person-one-vote thing, I think that the ND Supreme Court astutely framed the problem and I included the relevant passage from the opinion at the beginning of my RCV paper.

People have rights, marks on a ballot do not.  One of those rights is that you have a right to have your vote count no less than my vote.

So if at the end of the day, no matter what the method is, if more voters mark their ballots that A is preferred over B (it doesn't matter how much *more* preferred) than then number of voters marking their ballots to the contrary, then B should not be elected.  If, whatever the method is, somehow B *does* get elected, then we know that the voters supporting B over A cast votes that had more power than the votes coming from voters supporting A over B.

Problem with Approval is that it forces the voter to decide, tactically, if they are going to hide their preference of A over B (by approving both A and B) because they really hate Candidate C (and are worried that C might beat B), or if they decide that C doesn't really have a chance and they don't wanna throw away their preference for A (by not approving B).

Cardinal methods *inherently* suffer this problem of imposing tactical voting onto voters.

robert