[EM] Exact elections -- Proof of concept

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:40:30 PST 2022

Success!

The attached Python script is a minimalist proof of concept that
demonstrates the key features needed to implement Kristofer's exact
election model. I'm using the Polytope library:

https://github.com/tulip-control/polytope

This library isn't as general as QHull, but conversely, it is easier to
use. In the attached script I walk you through the core features and
demonstrate a simple function that computes the Voronoi cell of each
candidate as an object where you can compute volumes and intersections.

Finally, I demonstrate Kristofer's exact spatial model probabilities for a
toy election with 3 candidates in a 2D issue space. Generalizing this
should not be hard, but recursion can be confusing and I wanted to make the
logic as clear as possible for illustration purposes.

Cheers,
--
Dr. Daniel Carrera
Postdoctoral Research Associate