[EM] Copeland//Plurality --- can it beat IRV?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 21:15:18 PST 2022

Great summary!

Update on Hamiltonian MonteCarlo (HMC) that Da will and I were considering
... it is more adapted to sampling constant energy states.

Putting aside the HMC/ergodicity idea for now, we can still use the
"electo-potential" idea for finding different kinds of equilibria...
depending on which L_p norm is understood in the steepest descent equation

dr/dt=-grad V(r),

Where the "electo-potental" V(r) is defined as

V(r)=Sum(over voter positions R) of the product  ||R-r||f(R), where f(R) is
the fraction of the voters concentrated at R.

It looks like the L_1 norm is most suitable for an issue space in the form
of a Cartesian product of issue axes.

Also argmin{||gradV at k|| : k in K}, where K is the set of candidates,
seems to be a previously unknown Smith efficient election method.

It should be highly manipulation resistant because the norm of grad V at k
is possibly the best measure of the combined voter pull on candidate k away
from its position in "electo-space".