[EM] What is canonical Bucklin voting?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Jan 29 14:56:17 PST 2022

On 29.01.2022 19:51, culitif at tuta.io wrote:
> It strikes me that the current documentation on Bucklin on both
> Wikipedia and Electowiki is really unintuitive. Electowiki points out
> Fallback Voting as a method that's "strongly related to Bucklin" that
> was proposed in 2006, but from what I can tell it is exactly what is
> described in Smith's paper that you linked. And it's also what I'd
> gather as the general impression most people get when reading the
> Wikipedia article for it. All of them fail to go into detail however.
>
> Forest also mentioned MJ Bucklin as probably the most popular form of
> Bucklin right now. But the little detail offered by either Electowiki or
> Wikipedia (or most general resources) go into zero detail about what
> that would look like. Despite the fact that they all make mention of the
> popularity of graded Bucklin methods.
>
> I'd like to go ahead and make an implementation of MJ Bucklin, but I'm
> having a hard time finding a description of the algorithm. Could anybody
> kindly provide a link or resource to what that would look like?

MJ is like this, if I recall correctly:

Assign each grade to a number (it doesn't really matter what number, as
long as higher grades have higher values). Voters submit graded ballots,
i.e. for each candidate the voter provides either no opinion or a grade.

The candidate with the highest median grade wins.

If there's a tie, remove from each candidate one instance of the median
grade. Continue doing so until there's no longer a tie.

-km