[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 210, Issue 62

culitif at tuta.io culitif at tuta.io
Fri Jan 28 16:32:51 PST 2022

> That's really interesting. I'm not into crypto at all (bewildered by it really) so I had no idea that Bitcoin was disliked like that. What are the issues with Bitcoin from the point of view of the crypto community? What did they do?
I'm not too into it either, but there's a couple of different divisions. First of all Bitcoin is like the first generation of the blockchain technologies and has a lot of downsides and technical limitations. Some of which are manifesting as massive usage of energy (some estimates put that 10% of all electricity is now used to mine Bitcoin). There's a couple of suggested solutions to their issues, but they all kinda feel like duck tape solutions and nobody wants yet another hard fork of it so we're kinda stuck even though most people recognized we should've dropped it a long time ago. Then there's also the community of cryptography academics who, besides being mad about "crypto" now referring to crypto currencies instead of their field, also have a lot of technical critiques of it being a really inefficient system that didn't even leverage the cutting edge systems that were available when it was created. To be fair, their entire field kinda rests on a few hypotheses that we're pretty sure are true, but have not yet proved. So there's always a lot of new stuff coming from there

And ah yes I do remember digging into his other videos eventually as well. His videos and, later on, Nicky Case's explorable interactive on the matter really gave me the tetris effect about comparing these systems.

Regardless, I appreciate your work and advocacy. Although I can't say I fully agree that IRV isn't better than FPTP, I would certainly like to someday contribute to an effort to get a Condorcet method in widespread use in the US.

When will you be advocating to the Burlington council? Is there a place I could read up more about your proposed alternative?

Best,
Culi

Jan 28, 2022, 2:17 PM by dcarrera at gmail.com: