[EM] Manual Construction of Smith Set

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jan 27 12:12:58 PST 2022

On 1/27/2022 2:30 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > So I disagree. I don't think simplicity requires you to
 > throw away Smith compliance.

I agree.  Yet remember that my goal is to make it easy for voters to
watch vote counting on a stage and understand what's going on.

Kristofer suggests River and some other mathematically good methods, but
all of them require using the pairwise counts in ways that are not as
easy to understand as asking "which number is bigger?, that's the winner
in this pair."

Yes Copeland is simple, but ...

The popularity of IRV has shown that vote counting is easier to
understand when candidates are eliminated one at a time.  Most watchers
won't trust a process that ends so quickly, and fails to also
(sequentially) reveal who was least popular, who was second-least
popular, etc.

In a different message ... Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > So "on stage", Smith//IRV may not be a good method. I don't
 > think that IRV itself would be a good method for on-stage
 > voting, but if you had to do it then I would imagine either
 > Benham (if you need strategy resistance) or BTR (otherwise)
 > would be better than Smith//IRV.

Actually one of the big selling points of IRV is it can be done on stage
simply by piling ballots into stacks.  The stacks are named by
candidate, and the ballot goes to the stack of that ballot's currently
highest-ranked candidate.  The height of the stacks make some
comparisons very clear.  When the heights are similar, simple counting
can confirm which stack has fewer ballots.

Near the end of the process the tallest stack can be counted to see if
it contains more than half the ballots.  For added clarity, the ballots
in all the other stacks can be counted to show there are fewer ballots
in all those other stacks.

With IRV it's even easier -- but not fairer -- (than other methods)
because after each elimination the only ballot stack that needs to be
re-allocated is the stack that supports the candidate just eliminated.

I'll repeat that I strongly dislike IRV!!!  So I'm not defending it!

I'm just trying to point to something better that also can be counted in
a way where watchers can easily verify the (relative) fairness of each step.

When a method requires subtraction -- such as for calculating margins --
or sorting pairwise counts, the ease of understanding disappears.  (Yes
subtracting can be done by hand on a white board, but following the
subtraction process many times would make some watcher's head hurt. Yes
a calculator is usually trustworthy, but a watcher doesn't want to watch
lots of numbers being entered on the calculator and then transcribed
onto signs, and then named, etc.  Yes sorting can be followed, but it's
not easy to trust if the process also involves something else going on too.)

Yes, BTR-IRV does fit the requirement of being better, but IMO it's not
good enough.  It elects the Condorcet winner, but in a way that would
prompt lots of voters to ask "why are we protecting the Condorcet winner
when it has the shortest stack of ballots?"

In contrast, it's usually easy to follow eliminations that are based on
something that's easy to understand, such as eliminating a candidate who
loses every one-on-one match against the remaining candidates.

I believe such methods exist.  They may not have established names.
They must be easy for non-math-savvy watchers to follow.  Yes they won't
have superb mathematical characteristics.  But IRV too easily yields
flawed results, so getting better results shouldn't be difficult to
achieve, even with the can-be-followed-on-stage constraint.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy