[EM] Exact spatial model probabilities?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 20:18:58 PST 2022

Now I want to point out how the HMC ergodic idea makes it simple,
efficient, and extremely precise to find the volume of each preference
order region:

Initialize an algebraic variable 'BallotProfile' with the value zero.

Then as you evolve numerically the wandering test point ODE,

(d/dt)^2 r= -grad V(r),

at each successive point r of the numerical solution, calculate all of the
distances from r to the respective candidate positions, and sort them to
find the ranked preference ballot for that position in the form of a
string, such as, "A>B=C>D". Before resuming the ODE evolution, add that
string into the variable 'BallotProfile', treating it as a variable name,
i.e.an algebraic monomial.

After a few billion steps, according to the ergodic theorem that applies to
this kind of energy conserving dynamical system, the 'BallotProfile'
collected over time along the trajectory of the wandering point r, will
also represent the spatial distribution of preference ballots.

Practical suggestions ... convert the second order vector differential
equations into a system of two first order vector ODE's ...

dr/dt=v,
dv/dt=-grad V(r)

Solve numerically using RK4 or even simple Euler's method ... after all
we're just using the path to sample the space. Try several initial
conditions ... nothing too far outside the support of the voter
distribution.