[EM] Manual Construction of Smith Set

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Jan 26 15:52:12 PST 2022

On 1/26/2022 12:02 PM, Colin Champion wrote:
 > ... for what it’s worth I entirely agree with you.
 > ... Computing the Smith set is a task beyond the understanding
 > of normal people. ...

Colin, thanks for the confirmation!

The topic arose on Reddit -- in r/EndFPTP -- when someone insisted that
Smith/IRV -- was better than RCIPE (Ranked Choice Including Pairwise
Elimination).  When I said that was too difficult to understand, he(?)
disagreed.  I wanted to ensure there wasn't something I was overlooking
as to how it might be easy.

As Kristofer pointed out, it can be easy in most cases, but not in all
cases.

On 1/26/2022 12:02 PM, Colin Champion wrote:
 > ... What’s worse, in my view, is that it lacks any intuitive meaning.
 > The argument “X deserves to be elected rather than Y because X is in
 > the Smith set and Y isn’t” will be found persuasive by about 20
people on the planet. ...

I agree!

IMO the idea of improving IRV by limiting the winners to the Smith set
is like putting expensive racing tires on an old pickup truck.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy