[EM] Exact spatial model probabilities?

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:20:28 PST 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 5:10 PM Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at gmail.com> wrote:

> The total number of operations is V*C^2 which... can be a lot if V is
> large. But it might not be too bad if the alternative way of computing the
> volume of 1 set of preferences costs more than doing a simple {A,B}
> comparison V times. There might be some clever geometrical tricks to
> quickly classify some of the voters, but I can't think of any right now
> that is obviously faster.

To expand a little bit: If you have C candidates you have C! possible
orderings. Whereas the partitioning idea only requires C^2 candidate pairs
{A,B}. Perhaps a dumb {A,B} comparison performed V times is cheaper than a
clever volume-finding algorithm performed C! times.

--
Dr. Daniel Carrera
Postdoctoral Research Associate