[EM] Coombs method and typical RCV hybrid, River

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:58:34 PST 2022

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 12:31 AM robert bristow-johnson <
rbj at audioimagination.com> wrote:

> For Bottom-Two_Runoff, I came up with the term "lesser voter support" to
> differentiate from having fewer votes.
>
> I now have written some crude, untested, C code for Ranked Pairs and I
> just really don't see how to turn it into language plausibly suitable for
> legislation.

Yeah, it's tough. Here's my best attempt, but I don't think I would
actually show this to a legislator:

(X) Every candidate is compared against every other candidate in a
one-to-one matchup. For each matchup, the candidate that is preferred above
the other by a simple majority of ballots is the winner of that matchup and
the other candidate is the loser. The margin of victory is the number of
ballots that rank the winner of the matchup above the loser, minus the
number of ballots that rank the loser above the winner. The presiding
official shall make a list of matchups, sorted in order of margin of
victory, with the matchup with the largest margin of victory at the top of
the list and the matchup with the lowest margin of victory at the bottom.
The presiding officer will use this list of matchups to produce a final
ranking of all candidates. The construction of the final ranking begins
with the inclusion of the first matchup (the one with the highest margin of
victory). The presiding officer will consider each matchup in order of
margin of victory. If the matchup conflicts with the preferences already
indicated in the final rankings, that matchup is set aside and the
presiding officer shall continue to the next matchup. After the last
matchup (the one with the lowest margin of victory) has been considered,
the presider shall identify the candidate with the highest final ranking,
who is then elected.

Cheers,
--
Dr. Daniel Carrera