[EM] Recursion for the Daring!

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:19:03 PST 2022

When trying to explain a multistep procedure, sooner or later you reach the
point where the pattern should be evident to your audience ... that's the
point where you say, "... and so forth."

That's fine for informal interactive communication like this EM List, but
when you need to pin down unambiguosly exactly what you mean ... for
example, when giving instructions to a computer (or writing a proposal into
law), ... that's where recursion may be the ideal tool for the job.

The case I'm thinking about now is our Q&D/C approximation to TACC, ... can
we improve the approximation while preserving the succinct concision?

Here's the Q&D version:

Elect the "best" candidate that pairwise defeats the "worst" Smith
candidate.

A concise eleven word description of an amazingly burial resistant
Condorcet method.

I purposely left "best" and "worst" undefined, because we're still
exploring the possibilities. In TACC (Total Approval Chain Climbing)
"worst" refers to least total approval .... the "climbing" is climbing up a
List of candidates previously sorted into approval order ... preferably
explicit approval, but implicit approval is next best ... the best we can
do when restricted to the Universal Domain  rules of RCV, i.e. ordinal
preference information only. [It's an ironically sad oxymoron ... " ..
restricted to Universal ..."]

There is nothing corresponding to "best" in TACC, because TACC just keeps
on going until there is only one candidate left.  In Q&D we have been using
the same score system for "best" and "worst" ... highest "basic score"* and
lowest basic score, respectively. But there is no compelling reason for
adhering slavishly to that custom. In fact, this opening is our big fat
opportunity for incorporating recursion into Q&D!

*["Basic score" is a flexible version of implicit approval.  It means the
number of ballots on which the candidate being scored is ranked above at
least one candidate. The flexibility comes with the option of recalculating
the score when restricting to a subset, like the Smith set, of continuing
(i.e. un-disqualified) candidates.]

So here's a first draft of our recursive version of Q&D:

Elect the "recursively determined best" candidate that pairwise defeats the
"worst" Smith candidate.

The word count goes up from eleven to thirteen ... not too shabby!

Nitty gritty gory details coming soon!

[But now that you know how recursion works, you probably don't need me to
spell it out.]

-Forest