[EM] Quick and Clean Burial Resistant Smith

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:19:17 PST 2022

Forest, here is an example of how restricting to the Smith Set actually
leads to a failure of Q&CBRS.

This is a false-cycle strategy example from Colin Champion.

Sincere:

2: A > B > C > E > D
1: A > D > B > E > C
1: B > A > C > E > D
1: B > A > E > D > C
1: B > C > A > E > D
2: C > A > B > E > D
3: C > B > A > E > D

B is pairwise winner.

C voters create a cycle by insincerely elevating last place candidate D
over B.  Last two blocks change to

2: C > D > A > B > E
3: C > D > B > A > E

With Ranked Approval, Approval (basic score) can be accumulated on the
diagonal, giving the pairwise array

[11.  5.  5.  6. 11.]
[ 6. 11.  6.  5. 11.]
[ 6.  5.  9.  9.  9.]
[ 5.  6.  2.  7.  6.]
[ 0.  0.  2.  5.  6.]

Smith set is {A,B,C,D}.  D is least approved of Smith Set, but now defeats
B, leaving A and C. A has higher approval and is the winner.

If you eliminate E and recount to get a corrected basic score, you get a
pairwise array (basic score on diagonal) of

[8. 5. 5. 6.]
[6. 9. 6. 5.]
[6. 5. 9. 9.]
[5. 6. 2. 7.]

Same Smith set as before, of course, and D still has lowest approval, and
by defeating B, eliminates it. Remaining Smith candidates are A and C, as
before, but now C has higher basic score and wins.

So C's strategy of strategic burial to induce a cycle is now victorious.