[EM] Quick and Dirty Burial Resistant Condorcet

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 19:30:38 PST 2022

Is there any burial resistant Condorcet method simpler than this?

The basic pre-requisite is to understand that whenever there is no
Condorcet Winner there will be a pairwise cycle, called a "top-cycle" of
candidates whose members are not defeated by any candidates outside of the
cycle, just as a Condorcet Winner is a candidate undefeated by any other
candidate.

Here's the Q&D burial resistant method:

Lacking a Condorcet Winner elect the candidate X having the greatest
pairwise victory over the top-cycle member Y that has the smallest ratio of
first to last place votes within the top cycle.

Two examples illustrate the method:

Example 1.

49 C
26 A>B
25 B (sincere B>A)

The top cycle is ABCA

Candidate A has the smallest ratio 26/74 of first to last place votes.

Candidate C is the only candidate with a pairwise victory over it, so C
wins.

Notice how our rule does not reward B for insincerely lowering A to (equal)
last?

Example 2.

45 A>B (sincere A>C)
35 B>C
25 C>A

Candidate C has the smallest ratio  25/45 of first to last.

Candidate B wins as the only candidate with a pairwise victory over C. So
A's burial of C backfires.

Typically, the faction A that buries or truncates a Condorcet Winner C to
create a top-cycle cannot by so doing become a pairwise victor over the
buried Condorcet Winner ... but must (in order to create a cycle) help some
other candidate B defeat C by insincerely voting B>C.

Our Quick and Dirty method insures that if the sincere CW's rightful
victory is subverted, it goes to B, not to A.

Is this method quick enough and dirty enough for the FairVote IRV promoters?

What objections/criticisms might they have?

Do they have any counter proposal that rivals this one in any way?

If so, let them educate us ... we'll gladly join them if they can show us a
better way!

If not, then they should join us to educate the politicians, public, and
last but not least, the academics still stuck in the pre-EM era!