[EM] STV question (was: re: Hare clustering)

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Thu Feb 10 03:33:22 PST 2022

Kristofer - thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm missing something - I'm
afraid I don't really understand PR. If you have a model of the
electoral process, you can ask what result it should ideally produce for
a given set of candidates, but you can also ask what will be the ideal
result if the candidates are such as allow the voters to express their
real attributes - their level of class selfishness or sense of social
justice or greenness or jingoism or whatever. When I read about PR, I
get the impression that a division into parties is assumed as
pre-existing, whereas when people talk about single-member voting they
discuss the effect of the electoral system on the party structure. I
feel that this latter factor needs to be taken into account.

Suppose that the voters are uniformly distributed over a circular disc
centred on the origin. Then if a single candidate is elected, he should
be at O. If there are two seats, the winning candidates can be at
(-0.4,0) and (+0.4,0). This corresponds to your own 1-D account if the
parties are left and right, but they could also be up and down.

If there are 3 seats, then the winners should be 120 degrees apart. A
feature which ties this to single-member elections is that when we
divide the circle into three 120-degree segments, the ideal candidate
for each segment is the one whose average distance to voters in the
segment is least - ie. the ideal single-member winner. I understood your
original post as partitioning voters into clusters based on their
rankings of candidates, and then electing one candidate per partition.
But I understood your partitioning as derived from a given set of
candidates rather than asking what set of candidates may lead to the
best result.

If there are 5 seats, perhaps the ideal set of winners is a candidate at
O and four other candidates 90 degrees apart. When the number of seats
is large, we pack them like oranges in a crate.

CJC